Sodium alginate is a seaweed extract loved by chefs for using in the spherification process to make caviar pearls. When combined with calcium ions, the extract forms a gel. These gels can be soft, firm and heat-resistant.
You can also use this 100% natural powder to thicken liquids for sauces and purées.
Sodium alginate can also be used to create foams.
Follow the below instructions for using sodium alginate:
- For spherification use 0.5 – 1% of sodium alginate by weight of liquid.
- To disperse, either add whilst vigorously stirring the liquid, or mix with another dry ingredient (such as sugar) before adding to the liquid. Because the powder starts gelling in the presence of calcium, do not try to use it in a high calcium liquid, e.g. milk.
- To make the process easier, use a low-calcium bottled water.
- Add the powder to liquid or puree and use a syringe to squeeze droplets into a calcium bath, where they turn into caviar pearls.
- Switch around the two ingredients for reverse spherification (using the sodium alginate for the water bath).
Ingredients: Sodium alginate E401
Allergy Advice: Suitable for vegetarians & vegans, Ovo-lacto Vegetarians, non GMO, gluten free, Non-Irradiated.
Storage: Please store in dry, cool conditions and not in direct sunlight. Use within 6 months of opening.
There are no reviews yet.